Friday, January 18, 2013

More Than A Race


Dear Family & Friends,

Many of you know that over the last few years I have embraced the triathlon lifestyle. It has proven to be a great way to stay in shape, and I enjoy the discipline of training and preparation for racing.

In September I volunteered at the Ironman Wisconsin race. My experiences during the three-day event inspired me to sign up for the 2013 Ironman that includes a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike course, and marathon run of 26.2 miles.

During the intense training process of the next nine months, my individual race performance will be secondary. Instead, I want to focus my efforts on behalf of the Kenya Children’s Fund, a group dear to our family. Kenya Children’s Fund (www.kenyachildrensfund.org) is a mission dedicated to curbing acute poverty in Kinyago-Dandora, one of the poorest slums in Nairobi, Kenya.

Please join me in this mission by pledging your sponsorship. The funds from each sponsored mile of the 140.6 mile race will provide food, clothing, and education for a KCF student. This also serves to honor my late mother, Lois Hetherington, whose generous and sacrificial giving taught me the joy that comes from loving people in need.

Along the way, I will provide periodic updates on my training progress and support received toward the goal of sponsoring each  of the 140.6 miles.  What a blessing it would be if, together, we could present KCF a ($5,062) check that is enough to sponsor 12 children for an entire year!
 
Triathletes often create mantras that they use to motivate themselves throughout the grueling race process. With each mile marker, nothing could motivate me more than knowing we are supporting human life!

Thank you for your consideration and your generosity.
Blessings to all…

Lee Hetherington

No comments:

Post a Comment