Thursday, September 12, 2013

IMWI - More Than I Hoped It Would Be



I thought it best to break my race recap into parts over a couple of days...it may be easier to read this way.    
  • Ironman Wisconsin was all (and more) that I hoped it would be
  • Prerace logistics (athlete check-in, bike check-in, transition bag check-in athlete meeting, etc. etc.) went smoothly.  I had a bit of anxiety during it all but none the less all went well.
  • Having Liz and the kids, Liz’s father and brother and Ginger & Heather from KCF was super encouraging…In addition, I was fortunate to have my biking friends Travis, Marta, Derrick, Danny, Jeff & Mary…great friends and support team!  Derrick & Travis volunteered on the swim leg, Jeff & Mary on the bike course and Danny on the run.   Major energy comes from seeing a familiar face on the course.
  • During the entire race I tried to give encouragement to the volunteers and spectators.  I tried to smile and interact with the athletes, spectators and volunteers…it helped to keep me lighthearted and enjoying the day! It was fun to see their face light up when they felt acknowledged and appreciated! 
  • I was focused on the mission but also relaxed and felt calm.
  • I was clear minded, balanced and present during each hour of the race.
  • It was a spiritual day for me.  I often sang, prayed and gave thanks. 
  • I received many comments on my bike shorts that have the bible verse Philippians 4:13 printed on the back of them…”I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.”  Also, lots of people commented on the Kenya Children’s Fund race top I wore. 
  • Run to the Glory of God was my main mantra throughout the race.  I used several others as well but relied on this one very often.  In the very difficult times I simply said…I need you Lord, I need strength and endurance, now…and it came, every time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment