Tuesday, September 17, 2013

IMWI Run Segment

The run segment was amazing!  From the first block I felt great...who knows the 12 minute "rest" while fixing my tire may have actually helped my legs recover from the bike ride.   Going into the race my goal was to not walk during the marathon.  Having never run a marathon I wondered if it was naive to think I could endure the distance without walking, especially following a 112 bike leg.  Even though I felt good, I held back for the first 6 miles, then, increased my effort into a relaxed pace that I thought I could sustain.  Between mile 18 and 23 I found more energy and maintained a solid pace…I finished the 26.2 marathon having only walked at a few aid stations to eat and drink, perhaps 10-15 seconds per aid station.  My goal was 4 hours and my actual time was 4:14, again I felt really good about this.

Post race I learned that my feet bore the brunt of the long day...I developed severe blisters, blood blisters and torn toenails.  Despite the feeling that my feet were on fire towards the end of the marathon...I had virtually no other pain throughout the day.  I often felt fatigue, but no hip pain, no leg or calf pain...none!  Glory to God.  All of our prayers were answered! Thank you Lord, Thank You Lord.  
I received a very encouraging note after the race..."I could see the joy of the Lord in you throughout the day and it not only inspired us...but others as well!"    

My total time including the transitions was 12:30:30.  Subtracting 12 minutes due to the flat tire, I was 6 minutes off my goal time of 12:12!  Not bad and no regrets!




No comments:

Post a Comment