Monday, April 8, 2013

Frustrating Ride

Yesterday's bike ride was frustrating to say the least. Not sure if you've experienced the unavoidable headwind but it happens occasionally to me.  No matter which direction I turn I encounter a headwind. 

Yesterday I rode a 38 mile loop out to Waconia, around the north side of the lake and back. I rode nearly all points of the compass and fought the wind in every direction!  The low point of the ride was having to ride through a snow drift on the bike path on the north side of Waconia.  Being cautious, I unclipped my left foot from the pedal and slowed down.  So what happens?  I lose it and tip over to my right side still clipped on to the pedal with my right foot.  Eating humble pie, wet with slush and water I got up and shook off. 
I seem to do this once a year! 
Now tired, wet and cold I rode to Starbucks and laid-up with hot coffee.  On the ride home I cursed the wind wondering how in the heck I could have a headwind in every direction I went!    

This morning I swam for 30 minutes sort of simulating the olympic distance swim I'll have in just two weeks.  I immediately followed the swim with a 3 mile treadmill run...no headwind!           

Self-doubt is creeping into my mind as I think about all the people that will race in San Diego that have been able to train outside most, if not all winter...I've been able to run outside many times but yesterday was only my second bike ride outside this spring!    

I'm tired from training, tired emotionally and I'm tired of this God-forsaken, never-ending winter!   OK, I got that off my chest!

This will seem a little out of context to some of you, others not so much.  Another passion of mine is hunting and fishing!  Seeing the spring turkey gobblers in full strut for the last week has caused me to really miss my spring turkey hunt!  I'm not able to make my annual trip to South Dakota due to the San Diego race!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment