Sunday, April 21, 2013

ITU San Diego

I'm sitting in the San Diego airport waiting to depart on my return flight to Minneapolis, having just experienced my first destination race.  I now know why they call it the World Triathlon series; it's truly a world-class venue and event!
  • Day 1
  • All logistics unfolded as planned with the exception of a delayed flight out of Minneapolis that  caused me to miss my appointment with Triathlete magazine, a bit of a bummer  
  • My hotel room was on the ground level literally 75-yards from the transition area and the race start line
  • My bike was on site, assembled and ready for me within 2 hours of my arrival, check-in and packet pickup was fun and easy  
  • I eased my nerves a bit with an open water swim practice at the race swim site, first since July!  Also took a spin my bike to make sure all was right with the assembly
  • Had dinner with my brother-in-law Jeff who came in from the LA area.  We had a great seared-tuna dinner at a nearby fish market! 
  • Day 2
  • Woke up at 3:00 am pacific time, 5:00 am central (home) which is actually sleeping in for me! I forced myself to sleep until 5:00 local.
  • I ate a good breakfast and then rode one loop of the bike course, super fun...I'm loving the 75 degree temps.  Home report; they received 9+ inches of snow!
  • Jeff and a friend of his met up with me to watch the Pro / Olympic Women's team race!
  • Staged all my gear for my race the next day and racked my bike in the pre-assigned transition spot. 
  • My sister Lynn arrived from LA. We had a wonderful salmon dinner with their local, long- time family friends.
  • Race Day
  • Awoke at 4:15
  • Prepared my bike and race spot with my gear
  • Breakfast; 6-inch flatbread egg sandwich, fluids, energy jell
  • Ran 1 mile warm up, swam 10 minutes
  • Wave 4, 6:45 swim start!  Swam wide and zig-zagged a couple times due to tide current and not having done open water swimming since July.  29+ minutes.  Comparatively, not a strong swim but I felt orientated and balanced coming out of the water and ran through transition to my bike.  Fun to see Lynn and Jeff coming out of T1. 

  • The bike course was technical with five 90 and 180-degree hairpin turns, some with no passing zones.  Somewhat confusing. 
  • I was laughing and praising God for a beautiful day and wonderful experience!  I was having fun and enjoying every minute of the two lap 25 mile bike course where I averaged 21 mph. 
  • My T2 bike / run transition was quick.  Again, I saw Lynn and Jeff...Jeff did an excellent job shooting photos during the entire race.
     
  • Taking advise from my coach who wanted me to "finish strong" I was cautious for the first 3 miles. Feeling good, I made a surge for the final 3.2 finishing with a 7:38 pace.
 
  • This was the earliest in the year by almost 60 days that I've raced a triathlon.  And while I did not come close to a personal best, it was a wonderful experience and a great confidence builder.  Thank you Lord for an injury free winter of training and a solid, healthy, balanced performance! 
  • Following the race we had lunch with local friends and then I returned as a swim start volunteer for the Men's Pro race!  I was beat that evening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment