Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Eventful Weekend

As mentioned earlier, I had an intense weekend training schedule lined up.  I knocked off a 14 mile, 8:50 endurance paced run on Saturday morning and felt pretty strong throughout.  On Sunday, I hooked up with a group and rode the 56 mile Liberty Half Iron bike course.  And then immediately following the bike ride, we hammered out a 3 mile, 8:30 paced run.  I finished the long holiday weekend with a 50 minute endurance swim on Monday!
One interesting thing to note was how effective my two ice baths were.  On Saturday after my run I sat in a tub of cold water for about 20 minutes and then again on Sunday after the biking.  I have not totally submersed my legs in ice cold water before despite being told it's very good for healing.  I've iced, but not like that.  It seems to really work!  My legs seemed to have recovered much faster and I did not feel the stiffness nor typical fatigue that I believe I would have after a rigorous workout.

Last week I received generous Kenya Children's Fund donations from my friend and bible study leader, Mike as well as family friends Amy and Chad!  Thank you so much for your encouragement toward my race efforts and for believing in KCF!  To date I've received sponsorship for 40.6 miles of the 140.6, totalling $1,543 toward the $5,343 goal.

Remember a few posts back when I mentioned that as part of their 4H project Will and Sarah had 12 mallard eggs in the incubator?  Well...we had lots of action at the Hetherington household this weekend!  Turns out that it's quite the ordeal hatching eggs! We were on pins and needles all weekend as 5 of the 12 eggs have hatched!
        
And then to top off the weekend it was fun to see my daughter compete in her season-opener horse show.  Sarah and her horse Pal, looked and preformed great together!

No comments:

Post a Comment