Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I Got Lucky!

My Get Luck half marathon performance on Saturday was solid! 
My desire was to enjoy a (supported) long training run and not to come away injured or have significant post race fatigue.  Mission accomplished...although I forget how sore I can be the day after a half marathon!  I ran with the 1:50 / 8:24 pacers...turns out, a really fun group.  Race temp was in the low 20's and despite the forecast of 1-3 inches of snow, we only had a trace of it.  That said, there were many areas that were slick with ice and I had to be quite careful.   The pace I chose was very perfect for me and allowed me to enjoy the entire event.  The Get Lucky race has tons of spectator support, SWAG and is very well organized making it a fun early season half! 

For you runners...if you have never run with a pace group, try it, it's wonderful! Each pacer is assigned a specific time (pace) and makes sure to stay on track and finish the race in that amount of time.  For example my time above, 8 minute 24 second pace will take 1 hour and 50 minutes to complete the 13.1 mile race.  With a GPS watch, the pacer makes certain to keep the group at that pace the entire way.  In my experience, they typically finish within a minute of the set pace.  My actual time - 1:49:17. 

If you're striving for a PR (personal record) and really trying to push it, you don't have to worry about doing the math or even look at your watch!  You can concentrate entirely on racing.  I've PR'd twice by using a pacer!  The 8:24 pace is well below my race pace so I actually helped the two pacers lead the group and held the pace sign much of the way, really fun experience!    

Liz continues to recover and is making great progress!  Her casts came off last week and PT started!  She may argue that it's taking too long, but we have to remember that it's only been three weeks of what is sure to be a many month recovery period. Thanks for all of your support, it's very appreciated. 

Regards, 
Lee            

No comments:

Post a Comment