Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tri Community

Do you ever finish a workout and think…wow that was awesome?!
For me, my swim workouts have been killer for the last few weeks.  Two years ago, I swam with a group at the Chaska Community Center…one person clocked the fastest age-group time at Ironman Wisconsin last year!  I could never keep up with Heidi, or for that matter the rest of the group, but they pushed me and my swim time benefited.  Last year however, circumstances prevented me from joining them.  Swimming mainly on my own, my average time increased by minutes!  As mentioned in previous posts, I’m now swimming with the masters group; “masters” is a deceiving name…we’re marginal swimmers.  Our on-deck taskmaster is great and the group pushes me to a level I do not achieve swimming alone – it feels wonderful! 

As I become more experienced in triathlon (entering my 5th season) I’ve found it beneficial to seek “community training groups.”  For example, last year I hooked up with an open water swim group on Lake Waconia…very helpful.  In the off season I’ve found spin classes to be very motivating.  A group invited me to join them out of Gear West for weekend runs.  For sure, Triathlon is an individual sport though when appropriate and with a properly matched group or partner, I believe our individual performance and overall enjoyment of training is enhanced by finding the right community!  How fortunate are we to have a thriving tri community here in the metro; take advantage of it and I believe you will see significant and measurable benefit!                   

Liz continues to heal and recover…
Our visit to the surgeon on Monday was encouraging.  They replaced her post-surgery soft casts with hard casts.  Hopefully next week they’ll replace the hard casts with removable casts.  Liz’s spirit and confidence is much better and her mobility is increasing as well.  She still requires assistance to do many tasks although each day brings more independence.  The outpouring of encouragement and help has been humbling for sure.  Thank you one and all! 
Remember...the image below is times two, she fractured both wrists!

Until next time, blessings to you my friends.
Lee        

No comments:

Post a Comment