Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Season Opener - Saturday

My season opener half marathon is this weekend in St. Paul.  I’m feeling pretty strong and ready for a solid effort.  I’ve developed a twinge in my right hamstring and calf, hopefully only an annoyance, but it does concern me.  The plan is to enjoy the event and overall experience and I’ll run a little faster than a training session but will not race it! 

As mentioned earlier, my first triathlon is April 20th in San Diego.  I’ve signed up for the ITU Olympic distance triathlon (.9 swim / 25 mile bike / 6-mile run) on Fiesta Island, Mission Bay California the birthplace of triathlon!  What’s more, after our age group race there’s a pro elite race.  I’ve volunteered to help at the swim start/finish so I’ll be in the thick of that action!

I’ve scheduled two “field trips” while in California!  I’ve made my career in magazine publishing for 20-years and for the last few, I’ve admired Triathlete magazine.  I’ve arranged to stop by their office to say hello!  Also, I’ve connected with the guys of Felt Bike (my bike of choice) and plan to visit their shop as well.  How cool is that!         

The biggest travel hurdle I’ve encountered planning-wise is how to efficiently ship my bike to the site.  It’s a little involved due to disassembling the bike, packaging it, shipping it and reassembling it at the race site…and then doing it all again to get it home!  After numerous phone calls and a trip to my local Tri shop, I’m well on my way to figuring it out.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing! I love that you are raising money for children in Kenya!

    ReplyDelete