Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Nutrition Cleanse

I’ve not posted on the nutrition cleanse as of late; here are a few program highlights.    
You may recall that I’m restricted to vegetables, fruit, limited lentils & brown rice, oil and a protein supplement.  Days 1-5 were filled with a bit of anxiety due to a new menu and trying to figure out what to eat and how to prepare it.  I found my rhythm during days 6-12 and they ended up being fairly uneventful; except for the persistent craving of bread!  Interestingly though, I’ve not had significant cravings of sweets or caffeine which I anticipated.  Now in the final week (day 18 of 21) the challenge is to finish strong.  The temptation to reintroduce foods that are not allowed is strong.    

Program reflections:
My apprehension of missing caffeine and deserts never become a huge issue 
The craving for bread was persistent during the entire process – I love bread! 
I’ve had great energy throughout the entire process
The meal prep was much more involved than I anticipated and kind of a hassle    
I’ve not missed meat at all.  On day 11 I was able to reintroduce lean meat and fish; I’ve done so less than half of the time. I will admit that I like vegetables so to make them the main component of my diet was not a huge hurdle for me 
I’m pleased to report that I’m more apt to eat organic food moving forward; I can pronounce every ingredient on the label!
I’m more apt to continue eating meatless meals and hope to do so 2x per week   
A goal of mine was to experience a wake up call nutritionally, I succeeded.  My hope is that my son and daughter will appreciate the example 
A goal of mine was to get closer to my ideal racing weight, I succeeded here as well.  I dropped 10-12 lbs. and I'm within 3-4 pounds of where I hope to race    

This week’s training schedule:
Monday - 1 hour bike trainer
Tuesday – 45-minute spin class followed by a 3 mile run
Wednesday – 1 hour swim followed by core & strength
Thursday - 1 hour swim followed by 6 mile run  
Friday - 1 hour spin class followed by core and strength
Saturday - 8 mile run
Sunday - 2.5 hour spin class

No comments:

Post a Comment