Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A New Perspective

Intentionally, this blog will reflect my journey leading up to the 2013 Ironman and the challenges I face along the way.  That said, never in my wildest dreams did I suspect that one of my challenges would be an injury to my wife, Liz.  As mentioned in my last post, Liz severely fractured both of her wrists last Sunday requiring surgery, titanium plates and pins! Relatively speaking, she's making good progress in her recovery although I can tell it's going to be a long, slow process.  At this point, she requires 100% of my care and attention which I'm able and glad to provide.  I'm taking the week off from work.  

Life changes abruptly when one loses the use of their arms, hands and fingers!  Her left arm has not started to respond and has very limited movement.  Things being relative, her right arm and hand is recovering nicely and she has gained back limited use of of both her hand and fingers.  That said, Liz finds it very difficult to do even basic tasks such as hold a tooth brush, silverware, or a cup.

Already this experience has helped me to gain compassion for the tremendous difficulty people (we see each day) are experiencing.  The sacrifice of wounded servicemen, people with physical challenges and the elderly...

Seemingly insignificant, my training is going fairly well.  I've adjusted the times of my training and how I train, but I'm almost able to keep up with my schedule, more on this next time.    
Hope this finds you well!    

No comments:

Post a Comment