Thursday, February 21, 2013

The new normal

The first recognizable effect of the 21-day nutrition detox occurred this morning and caught me by surprise. 
A brief reminder; I’m restricted to vegetables, fruit, limited grain (in the form of a ½ cup of lentils or brown rice per day) and a protein supplement…no caffeine! Up until this point, I regularly drank several cups of coffee per day and often used a vitamin-based energy supplement with my workouts.  I’ve had neither for 5 days.  This morning, feeling like I would need a little boost to keep-up in masters swim class, I consumed my vitamin energy supplement between 5:30 and 7:oo am.  It’s now 11:30 and I’m still very much feeling the effects of the energy boost!  What blows me away is that in 5 short days my body has recalibrated a “new normal,” one of being caffeine & supplement free.  5 days ago the coffee and supplements helped me to “feel normal.”  This of course is due to the tolerance my body had built!  Unreal and a bit scary. 

Btw…despite great apprehension, I’ve had no ill-effects from the coffee restriction…worst case side effect has been an occasional mild headache. 

No comments:

Post a Comment