Monday, June 10, 2013

The Results Are In


Liberty Half Iron Transition Area (1.2 mile swim / 56 bike / 13.1 half marathon run) 

The results are in; my effort was solid!  I exceeded my goal time of between 5:19 - 5:26.
Here’s the breakdown:
  • Swim: 39:30
  • T1: 2:27 
  • Bike: 2:44:48 (20.4 mph average) 
  • T2: 1:16  
  • Run: 1:46:49 (8:10 per mile average)
  • Total: 5:14:48
I arrived at the event transition area at 5:35am and racked my bike in a killer, front row spot near the bike IN/OUT.  I then laid-out and organized my gear, then did a quick 2-3 mile bike ride to make sure all systems were go.  I followed the bike ride with a a quick 1 mile warm up run before putting on my wetsuit and heading to the lake for a swim warm up and race start.        

My swim was strong and I stayed mostly on course, coming out of the water in 39:30.  I felt oriented and balanced and was able to run to transition.  My transition to the bike was average, I struggled a bit taking off my wetsuit, putting on my socks, bike shoes and rest of my gear.  A little longer transition that normal for me, but nonetheless I was calm and collected. 

Once on the bike, I reminded myself to relax and take it easy for the first 10 miles.  The tendency is to hammer with all the pent up race energy, but this is a mistake and will likely cause problems later in the race. 

My bike pace was strong and I was deliberate to stick to my nutrition plan which I had calculated, written down and placed on my bike tube (mile 8 jell, 23 Jell, 38 Cliff Bar & 53 jell). From my bike computer I monitored actual speed, RPM and distance.  At about mile 40, I was very happy to see (I switched computer functions) that my average seed was at my goal pace of 19.6!  I felt solid and picked up the pace to the end of the bike course. 

I was glad to be off the bike!  I transitioned quickly the run.  My coach was just outside transition encouraging me as I put on my bike shoes and grabbed my running supplies.  At this point I figured that my swim had been solid and I knew that my bike pace was spot on.  So, if I had a decent run I should hit my goal time…
Again, I told myself to relax and go easy for the first 9 miles of the 13 mile run.  My primary goal was to not walk…I kept my head held high and paced on.  Mile 2, 3, 4 & 5, I felt good and paced about 8:20-8:45, right on plan.  I saw my coach at mile 7 just before the turn around and then again at 7.5.  Both times he gave me great encouragement and said I looked strong.  More important, I felt strong!  Mile 9, 10 & 11…still no walking!   At mile 12, I picked up the pace and ran to the finish. 

I beat my goal time range by 4 minutes and beat last years’ time by a whopping 20 minutes!  But perhaps most satisfying, I beat my coaches goal time for me (5:15) by TEN SECONDS!                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment