Monday, July 15, 2013

Great Weekend Workout!

On Friday morning I ran 9-miles at a fairly fast pace.  Later that afternoon we visited our Friend Mike on Lake Minnetonka where we skied, wake boarded and wake surfed!  That evening the kids and Liz were complaining about being sore…I felt fine! 
On Saturday morning I woke at 3:30 to thunderstorms and a deluge of rain! Our bike group was to meet at 5:30 for our 60 mile ride but postponed it twice due to the rain.  I really never went back to sleep after 3:30.   
What should have been a fun, challenging ride, turned into a ride that took its toll on me mentally and physically.  I felt great fatigue and began to doubt my training, fitness level and whether I would be able to tackle the Ironman distance!  My training partners Scott and Derrick listened and encouraged me through that dark place. 
Later that afternoon I heard more complaining from my family about being sore from the water sports.  It finally hit me too, my upper body was quite tender from the skiing we had done.  Although I could not directly feel it, my legs were probably very tired as well.  It occurs to me that I’m on the edge of over-training and need to pay very close attention to my level of fatigue both emotionally and physically!                

Sunday morning I set out on my longest run ever; 18-miles.  I was tight at the beginning but the run went as well as I could have hoped.  My typical long-distance run route takes me into some very remote areas…On this day I felt I needed to be around people and knew the local LRT path was flat, fairly soft due to its gravel base and would have lots of people based on its recreational nature.  Perfect plan and execution.  I ran the entire 18 miles and never stopped!  Challenging for sure but confidence building at the same time.  The best part was that my body had already recuperated from the previous days ride and lack of sleep!    

Mantra:
I’ve created a mantra while running that distracts me from my discomfort. I repeat (in several different orders) the names of the Kenya Children’s Fund staff and sponsored family. 
Ginger, Jane, Carolyn, Heather, Jacob, Teresia, Michael, Sabina, Ben… I also repeat my theme verse; Philippians 4:13; I can do all things through Him who gives me strength!

Last week I received three sponsorships…I’ll provide an update on this in the next day or two.
A group of us will ride the Ironman Wisconsin bike course on Friday and Saturday; a 112 miles on Friday and 70 on Saturday! 
In two weeks I race a half iron distance triathlon…things are moving at warp speed!

Thank you for your prayers of encouragement, protection from injury and wellbeing.  I remain healthy and able to continue forward. 
Blessings to you all.
Lee  

No comments:

Post a Comment