Monday, August 5, 2013

Weekend update


Tour de Tonka
Overall, a great, fun event!  Scott, Danny and I averaged 18.8 mph during the 100 mile trek and finished strong. 
The event is highly supported with rest stops staggered throughout the course about every 15 miles.  I committed to sticking with my nutrition plan and did not eat anything other than what I plan to eat during Ironman.  I’ll make one or two tweaks to the plan but basically it worked quite well…it essentially doubles in quantity what I have eaten during the last two half Ironman races.  The other thing I will do is to carry extra nutrition.  I felt vulnerable to dropping something.  If that occurs it could be bad, so I’ll bring an extra Cliff bar in case of emergency. 

I stumbled on to a Runners World article that associates ankle and knee pain with weak hips…It also provided hip exercises that prevent injury…I’m hopeful that it will also heal my achy breaky hip!  And speaking of my hip, I’m optimistic that it's healing.  I’ll know more tomorrow when I do my 45/3 bike/run brick.  The real test will come on Thursday and Saturday when I have a 7 and 14 mile run scheduled! 

Giving thanks…
Last week was powerful for Kenya Children’s Fund sponsorships!
I’m grateful for my three hunting & fishing companions Mike, Joe & Chris, who sent in their KCF sponsorships.  And too for Derrick, the coordinator of our Wednesday night Gear West bike ride who was very kind to show his support for KCF.  And last but not least, I'm thankful for my father who sent in a very generous sponsorship as well.   

There are many that have come along side of me during this adventure; lifting prayers, expressing words of encouragement and generously providing sponsorship.  What’s more, there are many more that have recently become aware of the effort and plan to sponsor the kids of Kenya Children’s Fund as well.   Thank you Lord, Thank you Lord! 

I hope you are well...
Lee            

No comments:

Post a Comment